November 10, 2005

Dr. Coburn Replies

Here's the reply verbatim. What a fucking putz.

"Dear Ms. XXXXXX:

Thank you for taking the time to write me about your concern that I was doing a crossword puzzle during Judge Roberts' confirmation hearing. I am sorry for the delay in my response. I read every letter that my constituents send. Your input is valuable to me.

I am sorry that you were embarrassed to see me characterized as disengaged or uncaring during the important confirmation hearing process. I believe that voting on a Supreme Court nominee is one of the most important decisions a Senator must make. The potential impact a Supreme CourtJustice can have on our nation is great. The Justice can either advance restrained jurisprudence or can advance judicial activism, taking away policy decisions from the legislature. Judicial activism must be reined in because it undermines the Constitution.

I took the entire confirmation process very seriously. I did not react to allegations or preconceived ideas about Judge Roberts. I waited until the completion of the hearings before I made my decision to support him. Iwill also withhold my decision on Judge Alito until I am fully informed and have had the full benefit of the hearing process.

Historically, confirmation hearings were conducted in a few hours time. Only those with questions asked them. It was not until 1868 that theJudiciary Committee began the tradition of holding hearings on those nominated to the Supreme Court. It was not until the 20th century that hearings even became public. According to one expert source, the earliest Supreme Court confirmation hearings held in open session were those in1916 but it was not until 1925 that the nominee participated.

To a large degree, modern hearings have become a theatrical event where members sometimes reveal more about their own positions than they ask ofthe nominee. I want you to know that during the time that Judge Roberts was being questioned or speaking, I did not have a crossword puzzle infront of me. I was only looking at the puzzle during the opening statements and during breaks.

However, out of respect for you and the great state that I represent, I commit that I will not do a crossword puzzle at any time during Judge Alito's hearing. Thank you for writing me, if I can be of assistance inthe future please contact my office.

Sincerely, A
Tom Coburn
TC:jg United States Senator"


Anyone wanna guess what my blood pressure is right now?

2 Comments:

Blogger MJ said...

Hahahaha!!! Sounds like a politician all right.

12:45 PM  
Blogger The Raving Badger said...

He sounds like an ass. He didn't even address my other concerns from my letter to him.

The crying? The "no" vote on the Katrina response? Answering his senate office phone "Dr. Tom Coburn's Office?"

He such an ass.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home